Friday, August 03, 2007

Life

Bike racing is a microcosm of life. Last night was our criterium championship race and I lined up with at least 4 other guys in our group who could, and most likely would, beat me. Not a problem, I enjoy racing, win or lose.

But, just like life, things happen. The top two contenders got in a fight mid race and that allowed the rest of us to get away. That's two down. That changed everything and myself and a teammate then took control of the race which I won in the end. I would not have been anyone's pick as the winner but through changing circumstance I was able to come out on top.

Did I deserve the win? Who cares, you get a lot of things you don't deserve in life and the rule in cycling is the first guy across the line is the winner. Did the others deserve to lose? Who cares, sometimes things happen you just can't control or couldn't forsee happening.

Life just comes at you. What you do with it is what counts. You can't control it anymore than you can control all the variables in a bike race. Accept the unknown and use every variation to your advantage to get across the finish line. Keep alert and look for opportunities. Team up with somebody, maybe Jesus. Don't start fighting with each other. And if the win presents itself, go for it and don't look back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home